A compassionate, family-oriented community
The Village of Edgerton was officially incorporated in 1865 and is celebrating its 150th birthday July 20-26, 2015, with special anniversary events.
The village was named in honor of Alfred P. Edgerton, an agent of the American Lands Co. who worked to stimulate the economy through the land office, timber mills and the first toll road in the Maumee Basin. After becoming owner of 40,000 acres of land in Ohio, Edgerton donated land to the Village of Edgerton as a public square – later called the Village Park.
Edgerton is known as the “Top of Ohio” because it sits in the extreme northwest corner of the state.
Remembering the past, making new history
Edgerton continued to grow and thrive in the late 1800s until the village faced a devastating setback in 1893 when a fire, the “Blaze of 1893,” destroyed most of the buildings. Frager’s Barber Shop is the only original storefront still remaining in the downtown business block today.
The village’s first electric power plant was built in 1903 to keep up with Edgerton’s increasing technological demands. The Chicago Bridge and Iron Co. constructed the water tower in 1939, storm sewers followed in 1958, as well as the water plant in 1966, sanitary sewers in 1978 and the electric substation in 2003.
A Civil War Monument to honor soldiers was established in 1912 and still stands today, now in the village’s downtown. Edgerton organized a homecoming event in 1921 to foster memories and unity, and the village continues to host homecomings annually in July, now known as the “Festival of Flags.”
The Edgerton Chamber of Commerce was formed after the end of World War II to help improve the cultural and economic welfare of the Edgerton area. It is home to numerous civic and service organizations such as the Edgerton Rotary Club, Edgerton Lions Club, the local Boy Scouts and more.
The area’s economy is strong in agriculture and many family farms are prevalent in the area. The village is known for being a family-oriented and hardworking community.
Service customers can count on
The Electric Department currently serves about 940 residential customers, 156 general service and commercial customers, and 11 industrial customers. The electric system has 25 miles of 12,470 voltage distribution line, 1,300 utility poles, 430 streetlights, and 390 transformers. The village’s electric crew is composed of qualified journeymen lineworkers.
As a member of AMP, Edgerton participates in a number of AMP programs and projects that assist in providing reliable energy and other benefits to the community and its citizen-owners. These include:
- AMP Combustion Turbine, six gas turbine distributed generation units located at three sites around Ohio that supply peaking power
- AMP Fremont Energy Center, a natural gas combined cycle facility that provides energy and capacity
- Business/Economic Development, AMP assistance which is designed to augment local economic development efforts
- Direct Connections, which assists municipal electric systems in organizing and/or enhancing and implementing a locally controlled key account, business retention and expansion program
- Efficiency Smart, a comprehensive energy-efficiency program administered for AMP by the Vermont Energy Investment Corp.
- Municipal Energy Services Agency (MESA), which provides member communities a source of technical assistance including planning, design and engineering, field services and training assistance
- Mutual Aid, a network of municipal electric systems that assist each other when utility emergencies occur that are too widespread to be handled by one system alone
- New York Power Authority (NYPA), providing hydroelectricity generated by the Niagara and St. Lawrence rivers
- Northwest AMP Service Group (NWASG)
- OMEGA JV 2, a joint venture that owns three gas turbine distributed generation units and 35 diesel units with a total capacity of 138.65 MW at sites across Ohio
- OMEGA JV4, a joint venture that was formed to oversee construction and operation of a 69-kilovolt sub-transmission line in Williams County
- OMEGA JV 5, a joint venture that operates a 42-MW hydroelectric plant on the Ohio River and has back-up generation sources located throughout Ohio
- OMEGA JV 6, a joint venture that operates a four-turbine wind farm near Bowling Green, Ohio, that generates 7.2 MW of power
- OSHA compliance, a contractual-based program that expands on the general safety program
- Phase 1 Hydro, which includes the run-of-the-river generating facilities currently under construction at the Cannelton, Smithland and Willow Island dams on the Ohio River
- The Prairie State Energy Campus, in southern Illinois, is a 1,600-MW state-of-the-art supercritical mine-mouth plant and adjacent coal mine
For more information, please visit edgerton-ohio.com.